Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm Back


I'm so happy. We finally got a new digital camera, so I can start posting images here again. I find that this blog is the best way to remind me to see Oaxaca in a fresh way, to consider the everyday something beautiful again.

So I'll begin with this charming smiling ant, some sort of mascot for Itanoni, a restaurant that I love so much it haunts my dreams. Steve and I have lunch there every Friday while the kids are still at school, and that's part of the fun of it for me.

Itanoni is on Belisario Dominguez street in the Reforma district. They serve Zapotec cuisine. They are politicized and determined to maintain the many diverse species of corn that are indigenous to the Oaxaca region. So the tacos tend to be very textured tortillas, kind of nuggety, and the Tetelas are just crazy incredible. They fold some thick corn masa into a triangle and stuff it with wild mushrooms and Chiapas cream which, since I'm supposed to be a vegan, is quite the decadent thing. It's fun to get an agua de Jamaica to go with it--my favorite hibiscus flower tea--and they serve it in a charming little glass bottle.

I first heard of Itanoni in "1491", a book Steve was reading. They showed a picture, but gave no name or address. It was a terrible tease. But I posted to some Oaxaca forums and *blink* someone kindly sent me their name. Itanoni.

No comments: